The Grand Junction Canal
- The Grand Junction Canal
- Inland Waterways Histories series
- The great Grand Junction was one of England's premier canals. Authorised in 1793 to run from the Thames at Brentford to Braunston, to connect with existing or proposed lines to Birmingham, Northampton, Leicester, the Potteries and the North, engineered by Willam Jessop, it was the longest barge canal built. Completed in 1805, 93½ miles long with 101 locks and two great tunnels at Braunston and Blisworth, having cost over a million pounds, it quickly became busy with traffic and profitable to its shareholders.
- Branches were built, notably to Paddington, Aylesbury, Buckingham and Northampton, and linking canals made, but the promoters' original hope that the Oxford, Coventry, Trent & Mersey and Warwick companies would enlarge their canals to barge standards remained unfulfilled.
- Later the company was strong enough to start a carrying department in competition with the railway, and to build a new branch to Slough. The canals to Leicester were bought and the Foxton inclined plane constructed in a late revival of the old idea of a barge route to the Nottinghamshire coalfield. The hope failed, but the company survived in good shape until it became part of the Grand Union amalgamation of 1928.
- Alan H. Faulkner has spent many years upon his researches into Grand Junction history. Here is the canal's story to the 1928 amalgamation, much of it never previously published (1972), accompanied by excellent maps and delightful pictures of the old canal days. Every enthusiast will want to put The Grand Junction Canal on their shelves alongside its already published companion. Philip Stevens' The Leicester Line
- 240 pages, 1969, Case bound, 5½" x 8¾"
- David & Charles Publications
- ISBN-10 0715357506
- ISBN-13 9780715357507
£20.00 Order or Enquire via email