British Canals An Illustrated History
- British Canals An Illustrated History
- The Canals of the British Isles Series
- When this book was first published in 1950 The Spectator said: "An important contribution to English social history of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, as as a canal history is hardly likely to be superseded."
- In 1959 the work went into its second edition with substantial additional material, the fruits of further research. This is now the fourth edition of this comprehensive work. It remains the only full history of British canals and it deals also with the navigable rivers associated with them. The author covers the whole of the story from the early days of flash-locks and barge masters at war with the mill owners for right of passage, down to the present day (1969). It will interest not only the student of history but also the open-air enthusiast who will suspect rightly that behind the quiet towpath there lies many a romantic and dramatic story.
- Few changes in the text have been necessary but there is considerable increase in the number of plates. In addition to these are more than 40 prints and 15 maps, most of them especially drawn for this volume and many full-page size.
- British Canals is the master volume in The Canals Of The British Isles' series.
- 291 pages, Fourth Edition 1969, Case bound, 5½" x 8¾"
- David & Charles Publications
- ISBN-10 0715346733
- New-Out of Print
- Pre-Owned, Excellent
£20.00 Order or Enquire
The Canals Of The British Isles
The Canals of The North of Ireland
The Canals of North West England Volume 1
The Canals of The South of Ireland
The Canals of Scotland
The Canals of South and South-East England
The Canals of South Wales and the Border
The Canals of South West England
The Canals of Yorkshire and North East England
Inland Waterways Histories series
Waterways to Stafford