The Canals of North West England Volume 2
- The Canals of North West England Volume 2
- The Canals of the British Isles Series
- North West England of England was the birthplace of the British industrial canal. The Acts of 1755 for the Sankey Brook Navigation and of 1759 for the Bridgewater Canal marked the beginning of that expansion of transport that was to match production developments of mines, mills and factories to constitute the Industrial Revolution
- In this two vlume work the authors have traced the history of the waterways in the Liverpool and Manchester area (except for the Manchester Ship Canal, described elsewhere in the series) from their beginnings early in the eighteenth century to the present day (1970). Here, too, are the three great Pennine canals, and those as far north as Carlisle.
- The Canals of North West England, like other titles in The Canals of the British Isles series, provides the reader with seperate histories of each waterway, grouped roughly into three periods: pre-1790, 1790-1845, and post-1845. Volume 1 contains the whole of the first period, and that part of the second which covers the Mersey & Irwell, Bridgewater, Weaver, Sanker Brook, Leeds & Liverpool, Bradford, Lancaster and Ulveston Canals. In this volume will be found the remnainder of the 1790-1845 period, including the Manchester, Bolton & Bury, Manchester & Salford Junction, Rochdale, Ashton, Peak Forest, Huddersfield and Carlisle Canals. Here, too, is the whole period from 1845 to the present day (1970).
- The book is based on original sources, and a great deal of the information in it has never been published before. Every chapter throws new light on British canal history, and the whole book is essential reading for the economic historian and the canal enthusiast.
- Pages 241 to 496, 1970, Case bound, 5½" x 8¾"
- David & Charles Publications
- ISBN-10 0715349929
- New-Out of Print
- Pre-Owned, Excellent, light dust jacket wear
£20.00 Order or Enquire
The Canals Of The British Isles
The Canals of The North of Ireland
The Canals of North West England Volume 1
The Canals of The South of Ireland
The Canals of Scotland
The Canals of South and South-East England
The Canals of South Wales and the Border
The Canals of South West England
The Canals of Yorkshire and North East England
Inland Waterways Histories series
Waterways to Stafford