Steam in South Wales Volume 2 - OPC
- Steam in South Wales
- Volume Two - North and West of Swansea
- by Michael Hale
- The area covered by this second volume can be roughly divided into two parts, each with its own characteristics. Swansea itself and the valleys to the north and west, stretching just beyond the Burry Inlet, share the industrial background of the valleys to the east. Collieries, metal refineries, tinplate and other works provided the incentive to build the railways. Some were intended to serve purely local interests, others were constructed by larger companies, with the Midland and London & North Western Railways reaching out into what was predominantly Great Western territory
- Although numerous passenger services have been withdrawn, quite a lot of the network survives. The Swansea Valley has lost much of its industry and many remains of the past have been swept away, but anthracite is still mined in the Amman Valley and farther west.
- Beyond Carmarthen, the scene was very different, resembling the West Country, not only geographically, but in the nature of its railways - a Great Western main line and branches. Most types of express passenger engine could be seen at work, while small Prairie tanks trundled happily along rural byways. Unfortunately, many of the branches have gone, and in country districts of West Wales, public transport facilities are now little, if any, better than they were in the middle of the last century.
- The following photographs provide a detailed picture of the above lines in the fifties and sixties, leaving the dock area of Swansea to be included in a future volume. No rebuff to the spirit of Welsh Nationalism is intended, but Anglicised spelling has been used because that was how place names were written when the photographs were taken
- 1981, Case bound, 180 black & white plates, 8¾" x 11"
- OPC Main Page
- ISBN-10 0860931528
- New — Out of Print
Order or Enquire via email
- Pre-Owned, minor dust jacket edge wear and edge yellowing
- Related Titles
- Steam in South Wales Volume 1: The Valleys
- Steam in South Wales Volume 2: North and West of Swansea
- Steam in South Wales Volume 3: Main LIne and the Docks
- Steam in South Wales Volume 4: Monmouthshire
- Steam in South Wales Volume 5: East and Mid Glamorgan
- Steam in South Wales Volume 6: The General Scene
- Steam in South Wales Volume: Series Index
- Steam in Mid Wales
- OPC Main Page