The Stanier Black Fives
- Stanier Class 5 Locomotives
- Successful design and operation of a class of locomotive capable of tackling a really wide variety of duties has eluded designers throughout locomotive history. As far steam is concerned the Stanier Black Fives came nearest of all to the idea. This book is a realistic rather than a partisan account of the class, but it provides ample evidence that the claim is justified
- The story of this fascinating class of locomotive is taken through all of its bewildering variations until finally 842 Black Fives ran in this country. It goes on to show how the success of the Black Five influenced locomotive design on other pre-1948 railways and then on the nationalised British Railways system. But in telling what is mainly a success story the writer has not shirked criticism of details.
- The popularity of the Stanier Black Fives is proved by the number of examples still preserved, but the true memorial to the class lies in its records.
- 1972, Hardback, 96 pages, 5½" x 8¾"
- Ian Allan Publishing
- ISBN-10 0711002746 Print Code: 10179/EM/372
- Pre-Owned, very good, minor dust cover edge wear