Milk Churns to Merry-Go-Round
- Milk Churns to Merry-Go-Round
- A Century of Train Operation
- R.T.Munns was closely involved with train operation for almost 50 years on the LNER and BR Eastern Region, as stationmaster, yardmaster, traffic controller, and latterly in senior management dealing with train control and freight train planning and operation.
- In this book he discusses railway operating methods and changes over the last 100 years, previously a neglected area in railway publishing. Among many aspectshe looks at the work at a typical small country station, the growth and decline of marshalling yards, the development of control offices, handling wartime traffic, the development of Merry-go-Round Trains, in which he played a major part, and the introduction of TOPS - the Total Operations Processing System - in which train and vehicle movement is recorded and monitored by computer.
- Inevitably his background shows through, for much of the account is drawn from personal experience on the eastern side of the country and at times is laced with critical comment and observation, but the detail was repeated right across the BR network
- 191 pages, 1986, Case bound, 5¾" x 8¾"
- ISBN-10 0715386662
- ISBN-13 9780715386668
£10.00 Order or Enquire via email