West Country Railway History
- A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain
- Volume 1 - The West Country
- This is the story of one of the glories of nineteenth century energy, vision and enterprise as it was manifest in the western counties, and it brings that story to nationalisation and beyond. We read of the planning, the building, the operation, and often, alas, the closing down of some of the most picturesque railway lines in the land. Much of the material is new, the full story of a number of lines appearing in book form for the first time. The birth of the railways from Wessex to Cornwall brought counties then remote within a few hours of London: it was undoubtedly the most important and formative event in their economic and social history. For the first time the joys and sorrows of all the railways in the area have been brought together.
- 274 pages, 1973, 4th Edition, Case bound, 5¾" x 8¾"
- David & Charles Publications
- ISBN-10 0715362089
- ISBN-13 9780715362082
£8.00 Order or Enquire via email