Forgotten Railways East Anglia
- Forgotten Railways East Anglia
- Forgotten Railways series
- The Great Eastern Railway scene was one of great contrasts, with, on the one hand, the world's most intensive steam suburban service in the London suburbs, and, on the other, branch and cross-country trains running through some of England's most sparsely populated agricultural territory, many of which survived until late 50s/early 60s. There were such delightful light railways as the Kelvedon and Tollesbury, the Mid Suffolk, the Colne Valley and Halstead, and the narrow gauge Southwold Railway, and a surprisingly complex tangle of cross-country through routes, which meant that few places in East Anglia were far from a station.
- In North Norfolk there was competition from the Midland & Great Northern at such places as Cromer, Great Yarmouth and Norwich, and for coastal holiday traffic between Norfolk and the Midlands, with long corridor express trains hauled by elderly 4-4-0s or 0-6-0s competing for limited capacity of the larely single track M&GN main line. In complete contrast was the typical Great Eastern country train, even in the 1950s usually comprising two, perhaps three, sometimes gas lit, GE coaches, hauled by a 60 year old 0-6-0 or 2-4-0, which astonishingly managed to survive to dieselisation.
- Not all the country lines have gone, for some have been developed to take on a new lease of life, but most are now only memories. R.S.Joby delves into the railway past to unearth much of the atmosphere and social impact of opening and closure, not only of 'Sweedie', as the GReat Eastern was often known, but of all lines in East Anglia, including some little known industrial and agricultural freight branches now becoming lost in the mists of time. A gazetteer summarises the location of visible remains and current (1977) uses.
- 175 pages, 1977 edition , Case bound, 5¾" x 8¾"
- David & Charles Publications
- ISBN-10 0715373129
- New — Out of Print
- Pre-Owned, very good, some spine fade, previous owners on flysheet. Includes map
£10.00 Order or Enquire
- Top of Page
Forgotten Railways series
Volume 1 - North East England
Volume 2 - East Midlands
Volume 3 - Chilterns and Cotswolds
Volume 4 - North and Mid Wales
Volume 6 - South East England
Volume 8 - South Wales
Volume 10 - West Midlands
Volume 11 - Severn Valley and Welsh Border