Irish Pictorial Railway History
- Ireland Volume 2
- Railway History In Pictures
- Each part of this two volume work forms a self contained unit but together they give the complete story of rail transport in Ireland, from the horse-operated waggonways of the canal era to the diesel-electric expresses of today. From thousands of illustrations in private and public collections, the author has selected some three hundred, many previously unpublished, and in linking them with accurately detailed narrative, Dr McCutcheon has produced a book not only of enthralling interest to railway enthusiasts, but also illustrative of a phase in the social and economic development of Ireland.
- Volume 2 is concerned with the twentieth centuary and the efforts made by the railways to maintain their position in the face of increasing operational difficulties. It contains sections on industrial railways; contractors' lines; tourist and commuter services, railway architecture and design (post-1870); locmotive development from 1900; special services and royal trains; rail-cars, buses and rolling stock. The final sections trace the fortunes of Irish railways over the past half century, with consideration of current developments in the fields of recording and preservation
- 112 pages, 1970, Case bound, 7½" x 9½"
- David & Charles Publications
- ISBN-10 0715349988
£20.00 Order or Enquire via email