Broad Gauge Finale
- Broad Gauge Finale
- Compiled from the Photographs & Notes of the Rev. A.H. Malan
- The publication of this unique and valuable collection of photographs, taken during the closing years of the broad gauge, is a fitting tribute to mark the 150th anniversary (1985), of the Great Western Railway. Concentrated on the former Bristol & Exeter Railway, the Reverend Malan's photographs are accompanied by his own captions and even a first-hand account of a trip on the footplate of a broad gauge locomotive.
- Predictably, most of the scenes depicted have undergone many changes over the intervening years, yet the straight track across flat country from Brent Knoll to the Bleadon Hills looks today much as it did when Malan travelled over it.
- The line crosses this flat wet area on a slightly raised formation, and the bridges and their embankments do not appear to have changes in this timeless setting. Indeed, standing at the lineside today with one's eyes at rail level, it is easy to imagine that it is 1891 and the next train will be the broad gauge Up 'Dutchman'!
- 72 pages, 1985, Laminated Card Covers
- Wild Swan Publications
- ISBN-10 0906867312
- ISBN-13 9780906867310
£15.00 Order or Enquire via email