An Historical Survey of Great Western Engine Sheds 1837-1947
- An Historical Survey of Great Western Engine Sheds 1837-1947
- Including the amalgated companies
- by E.Lyons & E.Mountford
- With surplus information gathered during the 1947 shed book research, Eddie Lyons decided to tackle the outstanding depots on the GWR that failed to reach Nationalization in 1948. It was in the initial stage of 1973, to obtain further information that he met Eric Mountford. During their first meeting, after comparing notes, they discovered that they had enough basic information to cover not only the earlier GWR depots but also the older sheds of amalgamated companies, hence they decided to combine their efforts.
- Thus the joint venture commenced with Eric basically concentrating on research of earlier depots and allocations, and Eddie on obtainingdiagrams for redrawing into the layouts and photographs. With Eric living in South Wales and Eddie in London, the former GWR network was well covered. Naturally there was a fair amount of overlapping especially with the historical development investigation which proved to be quite beneficial at their regular meetings during the peak of research.
- When the research was finally brought to a close they found that 238 depots had been discussed, with over 200 diagrams and nearly 150 photographs, which is quite exceptional considering that several depots were purely of a temporary nature. Virtually all the layouts are 19th Century and there are also detailed drawings of early sheds of various companies for the modeller, as well as a selection of Broad Gauge shed allocations for the historians.
- Therefore, within the companion 1947 shed book and this publication, every known engine shed that served the GWR including amalgamated companies is now tabulated. Certainly a unique record of railway history, covering a grand total of just over 400 depots.
- 1979, Case bound, 215 black & white plates, 8½" x 12"
- More OPC Publications
- ISBN-10 086093019X
- New — Out of Print
Order or Enquire via email
- Pre-Owned, good, price clipped, some cover discolouration
- OPC Main Page