- Nigel Gresley
- Locomotive Engineer
- by F.A.S. Brown
- The name of Nigel Gresley stands out as that of one of the outstanding locomotive engineers of the world. He came to a railway which in Sturrock, Stirling and Ivatt boasted a locomotive tradition second to none and while conserving the best of that tradition he soon set the stamp of his own genius on the products of Doncaster.
- The author grew up alongside the Great Northern main line and watched the development of Gresley locomotives which reached their final expression in such masterpieces as the streamlined Pacifics. He has delved deeply for his material and ther is much that appears in print for the first time (1961).
- Students of what might have been will particularly like the references to , and diagrams of, Gresley locomotives that never got beyond the drawing board, among them his first proposed Pacific and the 4-8-2 that the 1939 war killed.
- Carriage and wagon development, for which Gresley will be equally remembered, is adequately treated. Add anecdote and personalia and the result is perhaps the most comprehensive biography of a cheif mechanical engineer, as expressed by his life's work, yet to appear.
- Includes fold out cut away diagram of Cock O' The North
- 1961, reprinted 1962, Hardback, 215 pages, 5¾" x 8¾"
- Print Code: 1626/500/BXX/868
- New — N/A
- Very good, price clipped, owners dedication inside
- Ian Allan Main Page