Locomotives At The Grouping
Ian Allan Main Page
Locomotives At The Grouping, Volume 1 - SR
Locomotives At The Grouping, Volume 2 - LNER
Locomotives At The Grouping, Volume 3 - LMS
Locomotives At The Grouping, Volume 4 - GWR
BR Steam Locos, Volume 1 - Western Region
BR Steam Locos, Volume 2 - Southern Region
BR Steam Locos, Volume 3 - London Midland Region
BR Steam Locos, Volume 4 - Eastern Region
- Locomotives At The Grouping
- No.4 - Great Western Railway
- by H.C.Casserley & S.W.Johnston
- This is the last of the four volumes describing and listing the locomotives acquired by the newly formed companies, as constitued under the Railways Act of 1921.
- The Great Western differed somewhat from the other three groups in that, unlike the other new companies, each of which consisted of the amalgamation of several large railways, some of which could claim more or less equal status, the GWR comprised the absorption by one large company of a number of smaller ones.
- Several of these lines were in fact taken over on January 1st, 1922 a year ahead of the date on which amalgamation became effective in the case of the LMSR, LNER and SR, although final absorption of all its small acquistions was not completed by the GWR until the 1st January 1924.
- This volume, therefore embraces the whole of the GWR stocks as it existed on January 1st, 1922, including the newly acquired lines on that date, together with the few remaining absorption which took place during the ensuing two years.
- 1967, Hardback, 144 pages, 6½" x 8½"
- Print Code:1527/319/DXX/267
- Very good, small rear cover tear
£12.00 Order or Enquire via email