British Pacific Locomotives
- British Pacific Locomotives
- by Cecil J.Allen
- More than ten years ago prior to this book, Cecil J.Allen wrote two small books, one dealing with the Stanier Pacifics of the LMSR and the other with the Gresley Pacifics of the LNER, and also, in conjunction with S.C.Townroe, a book on the Bulleid Pacifics of the SR, all long since out of print. Much has happened since then: in particular, the development of the Gresley Pacific designs under Thomson and Peppercorn; the re-building of the Bulleid Pacifics; and, of course, the evolution of the standard Pacific designs of British Railways. Now that the building of steam locomotives for British Railways is at an end, the time has come for a detailed review of British Pacific locomotive history, from the Great Bear of the GWR onwards.
- No one is better equiped for this task than Cecil J.Allen, who has witnessed the emergence of all the various Pacific types and who has recorded many thousands of miles of their work, both in the trains they hauled and on their footplates. He has therefore largely re-written and brought completely up to date the three earlier books mentioned, including many facts not previously published; to this matter chapters have been added on all the other Pacific types mentioned, as well as a chapter on Pacifics that were designed but never built. Lists of dimensions, numbers, names and building dates are included, also in tabular form the times and speeds of many of the most notable runs made by all the different classes. A lavish collection of photographs, representing the many changes in external appearance of the various tyoes, as well as striking views of them actually at work, complete a volume which every lover of the steam locomotive will want to possess.
- 1962, 1st Edition, Hardback, 240 pages
- Print Code: VBPL/1138/738/400/062
- New — N/A
- Pre-Owned, good, worn and rubbed cover
£12.00 Order or Enquire
- Ian Allan Main Page