The Salisbury and Yeovil Railway
- The Salisbury and Yeovil Railway
- A Centenary Reprint of the History of a Railway
- by Louis H.Ruegg
- In 1878 a Sherborne journalist, Louis H.Ruegg, published this fascinating account of the tempestuous early history and later brilliant commercial success of the Salisbury and Yeovil Railway. Only a small edition was printed and the obscurity of the title perhaps prevented the work receiving the recognition it deserved.
- The book is re-published tp commemorate the 1960 centenary of the Salisbury and Yeovil line and the rest of the trunk route to Exeter. It is a work of reference which no railway collector should be without, but it also has intrinsic charm. It is hoped that it will prove of lasting value not only to railway historians and enthusiasts but also to those interested in the Wiltshire and the Somerset-Dorset country generally. This reprint has been made by a photographic process, in order to preserve the original atmosphere.
- Louis Ruegg wrote not only as the journalist whose interest in what he reported was keen, but also as an active shareholder who helped shape the Company's happy destiny. The author and the railway he describes is introduced by David St.John Thomas.
- 66 pages, 1960, Card covers, 5½" x 8½"
- No ISBN
- Pre-Owned, excellent, previous owners dated signature on flysheet
- David & Charles Main Page
Railway Line & Region Histories