LNER Wagons Volume 1
- LNER Southern Area
- Volume 1 - ex GN, ex GC and ex GE Wagons absorbed by the LNER
- The London & North Eastern Railway (LNER), along with the London, Midland & Scottish Railway (LMS), Great Western (GW) and Southern Railway (SR) companies came into existence on 1st January 1923. This came about as a result of the Railways Act of 1921, which grouped 27 of the larger companies, generally by geographical location, as constituents of the four new groups and into which numerous smaller companies were absorbed as subsidiaries, not all of which owned wagon stock.
- The LNER was constituted from the North Eastern (NER), Great Central (GC), Great Eastern (GE), Great Northern (GN), Hull & Barnsley (HB), North British (NB) and Great North of Scotland (GNS). All four of the grouping companies had an independent existence of just twenty-five years before they were nationalised as British Railways, part of the British Transport Commission, from 1st January 1948.
- This Volume is the first of a series of books which will address the wagons of the constituents during the LNER period as well as those introduced by the LNER
- This Volume is the first of a series of books which will address the wagons of the constituents during the LNER period as well as those introduced by the LNER and to this end four volumes are envisaged, as follows
- Volume 1 - LNER Southern Area, ex-GN, ex-GC and ex-GE wagons absorbed by the LNER
- Volume 2 - LNER North East Area, ex-NER and ex-HB wagons absorbed by the LNER.
- Volume 3 - LNER Scottish Areas, ex-NB and ex-GNS wagons absorbed by the LNER
- Volume 4a - LNER standard designs, Open Mineral and Hopper Wagons, Ordinary and Special Purpose Vans
- Volume 4b - LNER standard designs, Containers and Container Flats, Iron and Steel Carrying Wagons, Bolster Wagons, Specially Constructed Vehicles, Cattle Wagons, Departmental Vehicles and Goods Brake Vans
- Out of print, 248 pages, 2005, Case bound, 8¾" x 11"
- Wild Swan Publications
- ISBN-10 1905184034
- ISBN-13 9781905184033
- New Old Stock
£40.00 Order or Enquire via email