From the Karoo to the Kelvin
- Karoo to the Kelvin
- The story of South African Railways Class ‘15F’ 4-8-2 No. 3007, built in Glasgow by the North British Locomotive Co. and shipped to South Africa in 1945, which was repatriated back to its birthplace in 2007 to become the centrepiece of the new Glasgow Riverside Museum, alongside the River Kelvin.
- The detailed and wide-ranging text, compiled by Dugald Cameron, includes the story of No. 3007’s journey back to the UK; chapters on steam locomotive building in Glasgow and a look at the North British Locomotive Co’s Works in particular; No. 3007’s life story; an introduction to South African Railways, which then goes on to look at their Scottish connections, the Engineers and the locomotives which defined the system; a chapter of reminiscences from those who worked on and with the engines entitled ‘Living with 15Fs’; and a look at how No. 3007 came to be saved, with the aid of the North British Locomotive Preservation Group.
- Profusely illustrated and in full colour throughout, this is a fitting tribute to a handsome locomotive, built by a company which was once at the forefront of British steam locomotive construction and design.
- 106 pages, 2010, A4 Landscape, Laminated card covers, 12" x 8½"
- Black Dwarf Lightmoor Press
- ISBN-10 1899889442
- ISBN-13 9781899889440
Order or Enquire