Red Panniers: Last Steam on the Underground
- Red Panniers
- Last Steam on the Underground
- by John Scott-Morgan & Kirk Martin
- This is the story of the thirteen ex-Great Western Railway ‘57XX’ pannier tanks that passed into the ownership of London Transport. Based at both Neasden and Lillie Bridge Depots between 1957 and 1971, they handled much of the engineering traffic over surface and sub-surface lines and are particularly remembered for the spoil trains to Watford Tip.
- This comprehensive study of the ‘Red Panniers' gathers together many previously unpublished images of the locomotives, including a number taken at night and underground – the usual time and place where the panniers could be found at work. The last three survived in service until the middle of 1971 which made them the last working main line steam locomotives in the country, an often overlooked fact.
- 176 pages, 2008, Printed board covers, 8¾" x 11"
- Lightmoor Press
- ISBN-10 1899889299
- ISBN-13 978-1899889297
Out of Stock
- Lightmoor Press Main Page