Buxton to Ashbourne
- Railways of the High Peak
- Scenes From The Past: 32
- by J.M.Bentley & G.K.Fox
- In the previous book, Scenes from the past No 7 The Railway from Buxton to Bakewell, Matlock and Ambergate, the much acclaimed Midland route through the Peak was examined closely. In this latest work, a lesser known line over the Peak, from Buxton to Ashbourne, is given a much required closer look.
- It could not claim like the Midland to be a main trunk route from north to south and its closure aroused little public concern as its passenger service had ceased many years before and subsequently nobody seemed to notice the departure of a few daily goods trains. Yet, when it operated, it provided a direct route to Uttoxeter via Ashbourne, joining the Churnet Valley line at Rocester and the Crewe to Derby line at Uttoxeter, thus enabling southbound limestone traffic from the catchment area to travel south instead of the dreadfully indirect ways now used.
- The track bed, now part of the Tissington Trail, along which thousands of people each year walk or cycle from Parsley Hay to Ashbourne, might even now still be a railway, relieving the car infested Dove and Manifold valleys of much of the unwanted traffic problems.
- 120 pages. 120 Black and White images. Laminated Card Cover
- Foxline Publications
- ISBN-10 1870119452
- ISBN-13 9781870119450
- Pre-owned, very good, light signs of handling
- Foxline Main Page