The Ashover Light Railway
- The Ashover Light Railway
- by Robert Gratton & Stuart R.Band
- Very much a labour of love, this painstakingly researched book gives a comprehensive account of this idyllic Derbyshire narrow gauge railway, a two foot gauge line just over seven miles long, which used to run from Clay Cross to the nearby village of Ashover.
- A wholly owned subsidiary of the Clay Cross Company, a large concern founded in 1837 by the railway engineer George Stephenson, the railway was constructed in the early 1920s to convey minerals from their quarries at Fallgate and Ashover to the works at Clay Cross. For a time it also provided a passenger service, until withdrawn in 1936, and from then on the railway was left to fulfil its original purpose of transporting minerals.
- By 1949 the railway and plant of the sole remaining quarry at Ashover were worn out, and both were closed early the following year, the railway just seven days short of its silver jubilee.
- Out of Print, 1989, Hardback, 280 pages, 8¾" x 11", 1380g
- Wild Swan Publications
- ISBN-10 090686772x
- ISBN-13 9780906867723
- New Old Stock, as new
- Wild Swan Main Page