The Tetbury Branch
- The Tetbury Branch
- Opened by the Great Western Railway in 1889, this single line branch ran from Kemble Junction, on the main Swindon to Cheltenham line, to a terminus on the edge of the little market town of Tetbury. This simple country branch ran through landscape typical of the Cotswolds, with large arable farms growing crops on rich brown soil, dry stone walls and pretty villages of mellow grey stone. It thereafter continued a fairly uneventful existence, serving a rural community, carrying its coal, general goods and milk for 74 years until its demise and closure during the destruction of the railway system in 1964.
- In an effort to reduce running costs a lightweight diesel railbus service to replace steam passenger operation was tried on the line and the neighbouring Cirencester branch. However, it was too late, and the small savings achieved could not stave off the economic onslaught of the Beeching plan.
- Now an overgrown track, little remains except the earthworks to testify to its existence.
- Out of Print, 114 pages, 1985, Case bound
- Wild Swan Publications
- ISBN-10 0906867355
- ISBN-13 9780906867358
£38.00 Order or Enquire via email