- The Highworth Branch
- by T.M.Smith & G.S.Heathcliffe
- The Highworth Branch was constructed by a struggling independent company, the Swindon and Highworth Light Railway Co. Following the Board of Trade inspection the company was unable to finance the necessary modifications and was consequently forced to sell out to the Great Western Railway before the line could open.
- The line was constructed cheaply and over the years retained much of its highly individual character despite improvements carried out.
- In writing this book, the authors have not only traced the history of the railway itself but also its contribution to the life of the local communities which it served.
- The human element is very much to the fore with many of the line's former staff having provided the authors with valuable insight into this aspect of the story, thus making this a very readable account.
- 90 pages. Case bound
- Wild Swan Publications
- ISBN-10 0906867002
- New — N/A
Order or Enquire
- Pre-owned, Excellent, minimal shelf wear and spine fading
- Wild Swan Main Page