British Railways Locomotives 1955
- British Railways Locomotives
- by Chris Banks
- In British Railways Locomotives 1955, Chris Banks, whose earlier book on the year 1948, also published by OPC, provided a detailed record of all locomotives in service at the time of Nationalisation, now provides a fully comprehensive record of all locomotives that operated on Britains main line railway network during 1955. Alongside those locomotives that worked throughout the year, the book also chronicles those locomotives that were withdrawn from service during the year as well as those that entered traffic. Apart from the locomotive stock, the book also provides detailed information about the DMUs that were then starting to enter service in significant numbers and the ex-GWR diesel railcars.
- Alongside the detailed tables, which also include the shed allocation at 1 January the book also includes more than 300 photographs, the vast majority of which are previously unpublished.
- As a single work of reference covering the locomotive stock of British Railways in 1955, this new addition to the OPC list is comprehensive but accessible to all readers. It will be of particular interest to both railway historians and railway modellers as a detailed guide to the locomotive scene of the mid-1950s, covering a period before the all conquering diesel and electric locomotive fleet swept main line steam away.
- 2001, Case bound, 224 pages, 8¾" x 11"
- OPC Main Page
- ISBN-10 0860935604
- New — Out of Print
Order or Enquire
- Pre-Owned, excellent
£16.00 Order or Enquire
- OPC Main Page