A Pictorial Survey of London Midland Signalling
- A Pictorial Survey of London Midland Signalling
- by David Allen & C.J.Woolstenholmes
- A Pictorial Survey of London Midland Signalling is a companion volume to the authors well-received previous book, A Pictorial Survey of Railway Signalling, which provided general coverage of British Railways signals, signal boxes and level crossing protection. This latest work now concentrates in particular on the signalling and control systems employed in the area of the former London Midland Region in England and Wales.
- The origins of the Regions infrastructure and architecture are traced, along with the equipment and buildings which survived from the LMS and its predecessors, including the LNWR, CLC, midland, Furness and Lancashire & Yorkshire railways. The majority of photographs have been taken over the past ten years and portray the contemporary scene during a period of unprecedented organisational change. The illustrations nearly all feature some form of traction, often at locations normally accessible to the enthusiast. Other views depict in detail signal box interiors or unusual facets of signalling equipment.
- The majority of photographs are accompanied by both a detailed general caption and another describing the signalling equipment or operation, perpetuating the unique style of the authors earlier work. Appealing to the lay observer and the informed enthusiast alike, this authoritative pictorial reference book fills an important gap in the published knowledge of this complex area of railway operation.
- Both authors are teachers by profession and are members of the Signalling Record Society. Chris Woolstenholmes qualified as an army signalman on the Longmoor Military Railway.
- 1986, Case bound, 144 pages, 8¾" x 11"
- OPC Main Page
- ISBN-10 086093523X
- ISBN-13 9780860935230
- Pre-Owned, good, spine has faded and minor dust jacket edge wear
- OPC Main Page