Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway
- The Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway
- and branches
- by W.W.Tasker
- The Merthyr, Tredegar & Abergavenny Railway was essentially a mineral line, with more than 5000 tons of coal a day passing over it at its peak. Although it generated a respectable revenue from passenger traffic and carried an extensive amount of excursion traffic at easter, Whitsun and during the summer season, mineral traffic was its lifeblood.
- Sitiated in the heartland of the industrial South Wales valleys the fortunes of the MT&A Railway were coupled to the many large ironworks including those at Dowlais, Merthyr, Clydach, Nantyglo, Brynmawr, Beaufort, Ebbw Vale, Sirhowy, Tredegar and Rhymney. Traffic included ironstone, limestone and coal, plus finished products from the ironworks. The line was leased and worked by the London & North Western Railway from its opening in 1862 and the MT&A together with its subsidiaries, The Brynmawr & Blaenavon Railway; The Brynmawr & Western Valleys Railway; and the Sirhowy branch, formed a vital part of the LNWR. Although cut off from the bulk of the LNWR system, running powers over the GWR from Abergavenny to Hereford linked the MT&A with the Shrewsbury & Hereford Joint (GWR and LNWR) line and the remainder of the LNWR system. Similarly running powers over the Rhymney Railway gave access to Cardiff, whilst via the Sirhowy branch Newport was also tapped.
- The author encapsulates the intriguing history of the railway and its branches in his account of the construction and operation of the line. Also included are descriptions of journeys over several of the routes.
- 1986, Case bound, 144 pages, 8¾" x 11"
- OPC Main Page
- ISBN-10 0860933393
- Pre-Owned, very good, usual cover fade to green along the spine and around the edges
- OPC Main Page