Railway Buttons, Badges and Uniforms
- Railway Buttons, Badges and Uniforms
- by David J.Froggatt
- From the earliest days of the Stockton & Darlington the railway companies adopted uniforms for their staff and soon knew the value, both in terms of prestige and in the fostering of morale and efficiency, of dressing their staff in a distinctive manner. With companies springing up in separate parts of the country, remote from the others, the style and colour of the uniforms differed widely, as too did the pattern of buttons and other insignia. This book traces the history of the uniforms and insignia which have been worn by railway employees in the past 160 years.
- Hitherto, anyone interested in the subject has had no reliable work of reference to consult. The book rectifies the situation and records, before it is too late, a comprehensive picture of a form of ornamentation in which our railways once excellend. This has been accomplished with the aid of approximately 900 illustrations of buttons, badges and other uniform items that have been preserved in several collections, in addition to which are many photographs of staff which remained in official files.
- 1986, Case bound, 208 pages, 8¾" x 11¾"
- Malaga Books from Ian Allan Publishing
- ISBN-10 0711016496
- ISBN-13 9780711016491
- Pre-Owned, excellent
- Ian Allan Publishing