Great Western Pre-Grouping Album
- Great Western
- Pre-Grouping Railway Scene No.1
- The Rixon Bucknall collection is probably the most comprehensive single library in existence of photographs of British Railways in the colourful days before 1923, when over 100 individual railways were grouped into the 'Big Four' - LMS, LNER, GWR and SR. Until recently the collection has been private. It is now being opened up for this new series of books, which will eventually provide the most detailed and wide ranging panorama yet published of British locomotives and trains in what many regard as their golden age.
- Fittingly this first book in the series is devoted to the Great Western, since of all the old railways it still excites the deepest feelings of nostalgia. The period of the book covers the fascinating transition from Brunel's broad gauge to the standard 4ft 8½" gauge.
- The photographs have been selected for this book from Rixon Bucknall collection by the noted railway author and historian O.S.Nock, who has also filled in the background of general Great Western operation over the years spanned by the book in a series of vivid essays.
- 96 pages, 1975, Case bound, 7¼" x 9½"
- Ian Allan Publishing
- ISBN-10 0711005869
- ISBN-13 9780711005860
£7.00 Order or Enquire via email