GWR Goods Services
- GWR Goods Services
- Part 2A - Goods Depots And Their Operation
- In this, the second part of their series, the authors consider the organization and operation of the numerous goods depots on the Great Western system. Covered in this volume are a study of the various facilities provided at depots, the handling procedures, charging and waybilling, and the use of sacks, ropes and sheets to secure or protect the loads. A Detailed look at small consignment traffic discusses the various methods of transportation, including Direct, Tranship, Composite, Station and Pickup Wagons, with a brief look at the role of road transport in transhipments.
- The second half of this volume comprises an in-depth look at the goods depots and yards in the London area, including Paddington, Smithfield, South Lambeth, Poplar, Victoria & Albert, Chelsea and others. This second provides a fascinating and heavily illustrated record of this immensely important district.
- Profusely embellished with photographs, maps and documents relating to the subject in hand, this is the first of a two-part work covering the Great Western's goods interface with the public, and illustrates the aspect as never before. An essential guide to this vital aspect of Great Western Operations.
- 160 pages, 2007, Laminated Card Covers, 8½" x 10¾"
- Wild Swan Publications
- ISBN 1905184336
Available from Stock Now
Order or Enquire