Great Western Diesel Railcars
- Great Western Diesel Railcars
- by J.H.Russell
- Self-propelled railcars were used to a limited extent on branch line and local work for many years, but road competition in the early 1930s brought about a resurgance of interest in this economical form of traction. The diesel engine had, by this time, developed into an efficient and reliable power unit and, with the combination of lightweight construction and a streamlined body shape to lessen wind resistance, it became possible to produce a vehicle which could take on the motorbus on its own terms.
- When the first 'Flying Banana' was placed into service neither the GWR nor the manufacturers could have foreseen the rapid expansion of this novel form of travel, nor the longevity of the mature design of Swindon-built cars, the last of which remained in service until 1962.
- This account unravels the origins and construction of the pioneer AEC railcar No.1 which, when sold to the GWR, proved and outstanding success and prompted the production of a further 17 cars. As each new design appeared, a pattern emerged which culminated in the delivery, in the early years of World War II, of twenty mechanically sophisticated railcars which were similar to the diesel multiple units still running to this day.
- With the aid of a number of 4mm scale drawings, official diagrams, and lavishly illustrated with photographs from many sources, the full story is told in chronological order of the construction, trials and entry into service of the various batches. Details of the unusual maintenance arrangements between the GWR and AEC are given along with an analysis of faults, while a final illustrated section records the post-war service of the cars through British Railways ownership until withdrawal from traffic.
- The publication of this book prompted a former AEC employee to submit some very useful additional information relating to their development, maintenance, allocation and operation and this information is reproduced in the Great Western Diesel Railcar Supplement
- 1985, Hardback, 148 pages, 8¾" x 11"
- Wild Swan Publications
- ISBN 0906867304
- New — Out Of Print
- Pre-owned, New Old Stock, excellent condition, minimal cover fade — SOLD
Order or Enquire
- Pre-owned, Very good condition, minor cover spine fade
- Pre-owned, Very good condition, minimal cover spine fade and a small area of spine bottom end cover damage — £34.00
Order or Enquire
- Wild Swan Main Page
- Related Titles
- Great Western Diesel Railcars Supplement